Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My not so Happy Ending with DIY Dishwashing Detergent

When I made my DIY Laundry Detergent that I found on Pinterest I also made a batch of DIY dishwashing powder. I didn't add that post because after a few washes we started noticing white residue left on the dishes. We have stoneware, so it made the dishes feel really gross. I used it for about 2 weeks, thinking it would get better. I even tried adding Lemi Shine liquid to the rinse cycle, which didn't help at all.  Here is a picture one of our bowls after using the detergent for 1 week.
DIY dishwashing detergent with hard water


A lot of people rave about the diy dishwashing soap, it just wasn't right for us. We have a brand new dishwasher but also have hard water. In order to get this residue off, I added Lemi Shine powder to the bottom of the dishwasher and my dishes came out sparkly clean, when using my own store bought detergent.

I have been using Great Value powdered dishwashing detergent with grease fighting action since we got our new dishwasher. (so for about 4 months, other then the two weeks I used the DIY stuff).

The Great Value works awesome for us! It is even better that it only costs $2.64 at Walmart for 45 oz. This will last us about a month, and we run the dishwasher AT LEAST once a day depending on what type of cooking I am doing. That comes out to at most $.08/day. Which I think is an amazing value!

Great Value dishwashing detergent with LemiShine powder. No hard water spots!

If you do use the off brand but hate the residue you may get, I highly suggest adding LemiShine powder to the bottom of the dishwasher when you load it. It really works miracles!! I even tried hand washing all of my dishes to get the residue off from the from the DIY stuff and it didn't work. Lemi Shine is the only thing that helped!

1 comment:

  1. If at first you don't succeed...I do the same things. Caught you from MBC, I'm www.mtjam.com

    ReplyDelete